- What was the inspiration for CivClicker?
- The game was strongly inspired by Cookie Clicker.
- How do I get started?
- If you want people, you'll need to have enough food to support them, and they will need to have a place to live. Make sure you have enough food and at least a tent or wooden hut to start with.
- I made a worker, but they died straight away!
- Workers eat food. Do you have enough spare?
- How do I get more cats?
- It is a mystery.
- How do I get more deities?
- You'll need to reset your game; you get one deity per playthrough (collect them all!).
- But if I reset, don't I lose everything?
- You get to keep your achievements (you need to reset to get them all), your old deities and some of their upgrades (the Pantheon Upgrades section lists the permanent ones), your wonders, and your cats.
- How do I get gold?
- You need to trade for it with the traders who show up randomly.
- What are all the achievements? How do I get them?
- Finding out is part of the fun! If you really need to know, check the source code or ask around on Reddit.
- Can I buy bonuses for old deities?
- You can only buy upgrades for your current deity. You'll be able to do more stuff with old deities in the future.
- My people hate me! How can I fix this?
- For the moment, happiness is boosted by victorious raids, or if you have Aesthetics, by building lots of temples.
- I don't seem to be making any progress on my wonder. Am I doing it right?
- You need a lot of labourers and a lot of every kind of resource. Really a lot.
- Is the game complete?
- David Holley, the original author, has stated that he does not intend to develop it further. However, David—
- —Gosh, that's awful. So no new features?
- Don't interrupt. As I was saying, David generously released the code under the GPL,
which made this continuation of the project possible.
- So...what's the plan from here?
- First, I'm going to take some time to learn the code, and refactor
it to be more extensible. This will allow bigger and better things
in time. However, it means that there will probably only be minor
bugfixes for a while.
- Can I play my v1.0 save games on later versions?
- You can play them on v1.1, which I plan to keep available. Later
versions will probably have to break savegame compatibility, in order
to add new features.
- I have a bug.
- First, try seeing if a force refresh (Ctrl-F5) fixes things. This sorts 99% of problems.
- Okay, I still have a bug.
- Sorry about that! Please file a ticket on the project page. Screenshots are helpful, as is an exported save string.
- Why do you need so many farmers?
- In pre-industrial society, farmers operated at barely above subsistence level, so the numbers aren't actually too far off real life. With lots of upgrades and mills, the efficiency of farmers improves significantly.
- What browsers does CivClicker support?
- I've used both Firefox and Chrome in development. People have reported issues with Opera (check your cookie settings) and, predictably, Internet Explorer. If you are having problems with a particular browser I'd like to know.
- Can I help?
- If you like the game, I'd appreciate if you shared a link so more people can see it. :)
- I meant, do you need any help coding?
- This was a bit of a personal project, both game design-wise and coding-wise, but now that the game is licensed under the GPL you can make improvements yourself!
- Where did you get those icons?
- The icons are modified from originals found on game-icons.net. They are used under the CC-BY license (original author details here).
- And the background?
- The background is a Constable painting, titled Landscape, and is in the public domain.
- If I'm forking CivClicker, can I use the icons and background?
- Legally yes; the modified versions are released under the same CC-BY license David found them under. However, please consider joining this project rather than forking your own.